With the flu epidemic taking hold across the United States right now, we thought it would be a good time talk about some other natural flu remedies that may help you fight the dreaded virus.
Sure you should still get your annual flu shot, see your doctor and all those other standard things, but here are some other tips.
1. Elderberry (in particular the Sambucol type): The Journal of International Medical Research reported this berry can help shorten the duration of flu symptoms and reduce swollen sinuses. You can pick this up at your local drugstore in the liquid or pill formula. Although keep in mind just because it works in a drug compound, does not mean you should eat the berries as those are toxic to humans.
2. Turmeric: This famous spice contains a helpful ingredient called curcumin that can help prevent viruses from spreading within your body. (Food Chemistry 2010)
3. Vitamin D: A study conducted by The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found “vitamin D3 supplementation during the winter may reduce the incidence of influenza A.”
4. Good Old Chicken Soup: This age old remedy was found not to be an old wives’ tale and can actually help with congestion. (American Journal of Therapeutics Jan. 2012)
5. Neti Pot: While this one is not the most glamorous, having the flu is not a pretty sight either. When I have a bad cold or flu and really want some nasal relief, I use this at least three times a day and cannot tell you how effective it is. All you need is a Neti Pot, some warm water and a little salt. Trust me, once you get over the initial shock/sting of water rushing through your nasal passages, you’ll see first hand how effective it can be.
You can watch the Neti Pot being discuss by Dr. Oz and Oprah below: